1. C) It will mainly benefit the wealthy.
2. B) She prefers a life of continued exploration.
3. D) Keep his distance from drug addicts.
4. C) The mother.
5. A) Stay away for a couple of weeks.
6. C) He didn't want to miss the game.
7. B) It was robbed.
8. D) She isn't going to work in her brother's firm.
9. A) The man should phone the hotel for directions.
10. B) She has to do a lot of things within a short time.
11. B) it destroys rainforest soils
12. C) organic matter is quickly lost due to heat and rain
13. A) studying patches of fertile soils in the central Amazon
14. D) They can revover easily after slash-and-burn farming.
15. D) there once existed an urban civilization in the Amazon rainforests
16. A) they are driven by an overwhelming sense of individualism
17. B) It is getting closer to American-style capitalism.
18. D) healthy and wealthy
19. A) some modern women prefer a life of individual freedom
20. C) To examine the trend of young people living alone.
21. C) over the possible adverse effect of GM bacterium on plants
22. B) the result of an experiment she conducted herself
23. D) hasn't given permission to field test the GM organism
24. C) shouldn't demand that Ingham be disciplined for voicing her
25. A) Her testimony hasn’t been supported by the EPA
26. D) Poor adjustment of her body clock to seasonal changes
27. B) realized what her problem was
28. B) It serves as a kind of placebo
29. D) Light therapy could be misused by certain mental patients
30. A) Winter depressives prefer light therapy in spite of its convenience
31. A) reinforce
32. A) distracted
33. D) crisp
34. C) compatible
35. B) hasty
36. D) tolerant
37. A) dominant
38. C) gloomy
39. B) dwell on
40. D) array
41. B) ensure
42. C) simultaneously
43. A) transcend
44. B) surplus
45. D) predominantly
46. B) sensitive
47. A) mingled
48. D) immersed
49. A) transit
50. C) paved
51. D) embraces
52. C) reliance
53. B) multitude
54. B) coincidence
55. A) perceptions
56. D) domains
57. C) motivated
58. B) dilemma
59. A) commend
60. D) cherish
61 D off
62 B rely
63 C breakthrough
64 D sightless
65 A scans
66 D voice
67 A on
68 B printed
69 A stride
70 C However
71 A but
72 B for
73 A estimates
74 B own
75 C families
76 A modes
77 D assisting
78 B valuable
79 C before
80 C sense